So here it is. The ultimate definition: Humility is knowing yourself. That's it. Plain and simple.
Of course, when you know yourself, you realize a few things.
- You are not God's gift to the world.
- You don't know everything.
- You cannot survive alone.
- There is more than one way to do something.
- Someone else might have the answers you are looking for.
- Failing isn't the end of the world.
And you realize something else:
- You do have something to offer the world.
- You do know some things.
- You can survive through troubled times.
- The way you do things just might be a pretty good way to do something.
- Other people can be a lot of fun.
- Failure is the path to success.
It boils down to this. A truly humble person celebrates life. They celebrate themselves and their accomplishments with the same heart that they celebrate strangers and elephants and art and coffee and good movies and great books and little children and dancing. And sex. They definitely celebrate sex.