I never carry cash. It's pointless. Other than gas, I never buy anything. I don't eat out and never use the snack machine. As the light turned green, I remembered that I had one dollar in my pocket. My lottery money. It was too late to give it; traffic was moving.
What would have happened if I had given away my last dollar? Maybe aliens would have come down and abducted us. Maybe dragons would have sprouted from the clouds in the sky. Maybe angels would have sung. Or maybe I would have found another dollar in my shoe, bought a ticket, and won the lottery. And then the world came to an end.
I don't know. You make it up.
* ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ *
Here's the rules:
1. Post a paragraph or a sentence in the comments to continue the story. Include your email address so that I can contact you.
2. Submit as many entries as you want.
3. The story will run until Friday, March 19, 2010.
4. The following people will receive a signed-by-me, printed copy of the Ménage à 20:
- The First Entry
- The Last Entry
- The Most Entries
- The Best Entry
5. If you already have a copy, don't want a copy, were a contributing author, you can still participate. Your winning copy will be contributed to either my local library or to a library of your choice.
6. Winners will be announced on this blog shortly after the competition closes.
7. I will compile the story and add an ending (if necessary) and post it here for everyone to read.